Sunday, February 12, 2012

sari dreaming......................

My dear friend and her student are encouraging me to plan my sari purchase. I have been told jewel tones will go good with blonde hair , but that I should be wary of silky ones because they are hard to manage and it is my first time. I asked what that meant and was told that they slip and are hard to keep up. Well, since I plan on wearing my sari to school , I would say that slippage is definitely not wanted..... so now I have to save my money and make sure I buy the correct type.. can't wait! I have been asked to have Cosee take his picture somewhere in India with a Summit Coffee flag, not sure if that is okay ; but will certainly ask. Plans and ideas are flowing faster than I can keep track ; wish that my essential question would pop into my head just as quickly...............

4 comments:

  1. Both of my daughters have asked that I bring a sari home to them. I told them I would try. My husband was laboring under the impression that I would be taking Western clothing (thing I would normally wear in Louisiana summer with me). When I told him that the travel books and blogs I had been reading recommended that you buy Indian style dress after you get there, he almost fainted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds perfect to me..... was thinking NC is hot, so would be good western clothes...glad to hear I was wrong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I didn't do any sari shopping for myself (mom and sister did), the colors that I did see were beautiful! Few of the western female tourists that I saw were actually wearing saris or salwars; western females who live/work there are more likely to do so. If you're looking for gifts but fear sizing issues the scarves are just as beautiful and assorted as the saris and with being much less expensive you can get LOTS of them.

    I think before I prepare an "essential question" I want to have my "lingering questions" answered. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beware if you purchase a sari, you must be prepared to have the blouse piece tailored for you while there and also a 'petticoat' (the cotton slip with the drawstring waist that you will need to tuck the sari in and hold it all together). You can pin the pallu to your shoulder with a brooch and then it won't slip. Personally, I find salwar kameez much more comfortable and practical and you can actually find some of those ready-made. I'm also with David on the scarves; you can find absolutely gorgeous silk ones that you can wear with many different outfits.

    ReplyDelete