Friday, September 7, 2012

Is that Cricket?

Sunday -  
       We are picked up by Soma and off to the cricket training grounds. I am really stoked about this. It is a cloudy day, but really the most rain occurred the first night here and after that it has been ominously dry. We arrive at the training grounds and there are all ages of boys learning and finessing their game. We are taught how to hold the bat and the ball and most importantly  - how to stand and swing. Brian looks pretty natural , although he really is swinging it like a baseball bat. I , on the other hand, am really clumsy. I did mangae to hit 4/10 balls and my trainers were proud! Tea and crackers break our session and Soma laughed at me when I asked to take the little clay cup home with me. She said whe I was done, that I needed to just throw it on the ground and smash it. It is clay , it will return to the earth from whence it came..........

The rest of the day was a car / walking tour around Kolakata and some of its museums and temples. We also visited the Marble Palace and Tagore's home. A decison must be made soon however as to the journey to Parash's school. It is outside of twon and on the way to the airport, but we are both concerned that we would get delayed and miss our plane. Lunch was amazing - local Bengali Chelo platter and mango soufle.... chelo platter had rice, tomato, egg, cukes, chicken kabob and goat kabob. It was delicious. We chatted for quite a long time over lunch and finally took the cab home. I went home, my umbrella stayed in the cab.... oh well ; there hasn't been enough rain to need it anyway.

Brian and I had a little time before nightfall , so we headed to the reebok store and stocked up on the Kolkata Night Riders Cricket gear............ I mean we learned to play, saw Eden Gardens ... what do you expect?  worked on lessonplan and went for 6.5 mile ride on stationary bike............ too much good food!




Monday -   
     well, so you know what happens when you lose your umbrella? It rains , of course. The first time in days. Sox are on again, battery charged and all material for my lesson is ready...... we will also be part of a global panel discussion later. My class went so well..... we talked about biodiversity and various other environmental concepts. Played Good Buddy and the kids were having a great time because they do not normally have activities structured as this one was. I learned some different answers that will work when we do this in class at LHS, as well.........My lessons finished, I went to music class where the students sang me songs and I receieved a white flower for my hair that was a blessing from Krishna. I had to teach them " Take Me Out To The Ballgame".
     From there we headed to a street children school that is government funded, only the governemnt isn't getting the money there somehow. No smiles, laughter or food.............. How can you come to school when your parents need you to help beg for food? Lunch of Tikka Chicken and then our global panel discussion. Topics: how globalization has affected India and the youth..........  Children are children everywhere and they just want to fit in............. Several bad thunderstorms today, but still no sustained, consistant rain.
 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment